I may be small, but I've got giant plans. Plans to shine!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Marching on!

March is already here! Wow, where did the time go?
My life has been busy, which at this point should go without saying, but I am having a lot of fun in everything I am involved in here at Anderson University. I am a soprano in my university's auditioned-based, 44 member "Chorale" and we are busily preparing for our spring break tour which kicks off this weekend! I am very excited about this tour because it is going to be taking us to New York City for 3 of the days! We are lucky enough to be staying in a hotel for a few nights that is right across the street from Carnegie Hall. It is going to be a blast of a trip, full of plenty of music-making, but also a lot of social time and bonding as well. The link for the tour is here with our schedule (http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=189689061056130)
The school of music that I am a part of here recently wrapped up our opera production of "Tartuffe". It was a great show, full of a dynamic group of talented singers and actors. I was a member of the chorus and an understudy for one of the principal coloratura soprano roles. It was a such a great experience for me. Albeit time-consuming, it was definitely a great chance for me to grow and expand as a performer and to get to know people I generally would not get the chance to spend time with. I can see my voice developing and maturing more and more each year with the help of operas like this, and it is very exciting! As much fun as it was, it is nice to have my evenings free again, however. ;)












This past Tuesday on March 1st, I decided to volunteer at my local IHOP for National Pancake Day in support of the Miss America organization’s partnership with the Children’s Miracle Network. I called the IHOP here in Anderson and asked if I could volunteer and be put to work in any capacity. They were happy to have me come in and had me serving as an actual hostess and seating customers. I was responsible for telling the customers about the charity that they could donate to. In addition to supporting the national IHOP whose proceeds went directly to the Children’s Miracle Network, this local IHOP decided to support a local crisis pregnancy center to help women cope with their unplanned pregnancy and prepare for life after the delivery. It was a great cause and I was grateful to be of service for 2 hours within my busy day!


I have been plugging away at filling out my Miss Ohio paperwork as well. Getting little pieces of it done whenever I can is helping it not be so daunting on top of my other schoolwork and practice. I met with my executive directors last weekend to talk over my game plan for preparing and shopping for Miss Ohio, and I am very excited about it. I am going to start going evening gown dress shopping here soon. I have a lot of ideas already, and I am excited to get going on that. Within these next 2 months of school, I will be investing a lot of time in my schoolwork of course, but I will try to do a few more appearances when I can. I am planning on trying to attend the Sweeps pageant in April if I can get away that weekend, and I am also trying to plan a visit to one or two different children’s hospitals (one in Ohio and one in Indiana) so I can touch the children through song and storytime! When those things happen, you can check back here for an update! Thanks for reading, God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment